Sunday, October 25, 2009

Blog Review Part I: Be a Real Blogger, not a Troll

Is Ella Rose a blogger or a troll? I have examined Ella’s article “Aanhin pa ang damo kung patay na ang kabayo? (A special report from a volunteer). I have dissected it “blog by blog” to determine what went wrong. Here is my opinion on the blog:

As you now know, initially Ella wrote:

“I’m asking your help to spread the word. Tulungan po ninyo akong ikalat ito. Beyond this, we should also demand action. I disabled a plugin so you can copy the photos of relief goods rotting in DSWD warehouses.”

I reviewed the article but failed to see pictures of “relief goods rotting in DSWD warehouses.” All pictures show relief goods in perfect condition. I am also surprised why Ella quickly called for help to spread the word [virus as others call it] without further data gathering and verification.

Then Ella wrote:

“I never imagined that my post will stoke a hornet’s nest this big. Not in my wildest dreams. It’s plain to see that it’s out of my hands. People reposted and it became viral.”

Ella, we have to take note that earlier you wrote: “I’m asking your help to spread the word. Tulungan po ninyo akong ikalat ito.” Ella, for whatever reason, you grew inconsistent here. While at first you asked for help to “spread the word,” now you seem surprised of the results of what you wanted to happen. Ella seems to be a confused troll [Wikipedia says - In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Ella also said:

“I therefore conclude, social media rule.”

Ella, this is nothing new. Unfortunately it is only now that you are realizing this.

Then finally today, Oct. 25, 2009, Ella started to loose potency as she wrote:

“Everyone has seen and heard what I had to say. All I did was ask the right questions that sparked a controversy. No hidden agenda. It has even come to the point that I am being maligned as a person. My words are being twisted and each point I say is discussed endlessly.“


Ella, your error was that you really did not asked questions, much more the right questions. You had your speculations and you quickly asked people to “spread the word” and “Ikalat ito” as you said. In my opinion it is outright malicious. You need not complain now. You have maligned others hence it is not surprising that those you have maligned will respond. They feel that your words twisted the facts hence it is not surprising that those who were affected will respond to fix what you have twisted, and yes it could be endless.

Ella further wrote:

“I am just a blogger who wanted to know what’s going on. I did not accuse anyone of hoarding. There were never any allegations of pilferage. I did not even claim to be a “balanced, responsible journalist”. There were no interviews granted to any news agency. Still, “news” was released about my stand on the issue.”

Ella, you are not just a blogger who wanted to know what’s going on. You are actually a troll. You really did not accuse anyone of hoarding or pilferage because you really cannot. But I believe your article and the manner by which you presented it have falsely maligned the DSWD organization, its officials and employees through your malicious imputations and speculations. You cannot really claim to be a balanced, responsible journalist because you are not but you can easily qualify as a troll. You could have done better if you chose to be a real blogger.

More from Ella:

“After my first post about DSWD, I had nothing more to say. Most of all, I have no intention of putting the hard-working DSWD employees in a bad light.”

Ella, again your error. You are really a troll [get back at my definition above]. You published to provoke and disrupt then you say, you have nothing more to say. That you have no intention of putting the hard-working DSWD employees in bad light. But you just had. In fact not only the DSWD officials and employees but their families and the country as well. It is really difficult when you fail to recognize the potential damage that your blog can do. More difficult to accept the actual damage you have done. That is the reason why we really need to be careful about our blogs.

Ella further said:

“Secretary Cabral said her piece and I published it. I also believe in hearing both sides of the story. I’ve said mine and I’ve aired hers and all your comments.”

Ella, there is nothing new with this. Bloggers really have the responsibility to manage responses and comments.

Then finally Ella wrote:

“All that I ask is for people to take their part in this issue: volunteers. DSWD, and myself. Wherever you fall in this category, do your part. I am not the issue. DSWD has a problem deploying relief goods. I know each of us have our own stand regarding this situation. Don’t let this cloud your judgment of anything other than what’s important — getting the right help to the people that need it most.”

Ella, you could have made such statement before you published your article and asked others to spread it. I did not find this objective in your original post. What I read was your call for people to spread the word and “ikalat to” and your litany of malicious imputations and speculations. If this was your purpose, you could have given justice to your blog and to the network if you put it forward earlier as your main agenda. Your blog was an unguided bullet, something like “to whom it may concern.” You really did not have a good purpose and clear target. It was only meant to provoke and not to solve any issue. You could have established your blog in a proper perspective and framework.

I read this Blogger's Code of Conduct in Wikipedia. Hope bloggers can get something from it to enforce civility on their blogs by being civil themselves and moderating comments on their blogs. Author O'Reilly said, "I do think we need some code of conduct around what is acceptable behavior, I would hope that it doesn't come through any kind of regulation it would come through self-regulation:

1. Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
2. Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
3. Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
4. Ignore the trolls.
5. Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
6. If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
7. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.

Ella, Be a real blogger, not a troll.

12 comments:

  1. Bwahahahaha ... the better question is, are you a blogger or a troll? Did u even know that "rotting" as used in her blog meant "stagnating, not moving,.. etc". Its not the literal "rotting" as in "decaying". Maybe your the troll? Bwahahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. without ella's blog do you think this issue of lack of volunteers in DSWD will come out??? you should be asking yourself aswell, if you are a real blogger or troll...

    and please... she didn't say it literally that the goods are being rotten...

    tsk... papansin ka rin... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody wants the ella cake eh?!

    posting blogs, even videos about ella and DSWD, for their 5 minutes of fame.

    Her revived the volunteerism spirit that was dwindling after Ondoy and Pepeng, and that is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh..5 posts trying to defend DSWD, what you work for them? FYI, your new multiply account doesn't make you any more credible than her. Trying to discredit someone with your so-called "analysis" is not far from what Ella did. Get a life you troll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I reviewed the article but failed to see pictures of “relief goods rotting in DSWD warehouses.” All pictures show relief goods in perfect condition. I am also surprised why Ella quickly called for help to spread the word [virus as others call it] without further data gathering and verification.)

    I think you should read this http://www.ellaganda.com/?p=1763

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely ella is a troll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are the troll dear.
    Ella did our country a favor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations catwizkers! Ella should read your posts so she can learn a lesson or two. Ella is a MEGA troll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bayarangella said on her blog that "pictures speak for themselves". that's BULLSHIT! Lets say you saw a picture of a man kissing a woman. Does it mean they have an intimate relationship? she really has a TROLLILING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!

    I'm Erika Caramat from ANC's Media in Focus hosted by Cheche Lazaro. I do not know how else to get in touch with you, so I'm sending you a message here. :)

    We'd like to invite you tomorrow, 05-Nov, as a guest on Media in Focus re the alleged DSWD hoarding of relief goods issue. We need a blogger guest sana. Ella declined.

    I can't post my number here, but here's my email address: erikacaramat@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    Hoping to hear from you,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least Ella brought it out to the open. I salute her for she has the guts to tell the world on how countries around the world now will send donations to the Philippines. No one will trust our government for its been a long time that its been going on.

    Why are they giving BANIG and Local Sardines to those who are affected by the floods. where are the imported corned beef and Pork and beans that are vready to eat. They do not need those Calderos now, for most of them are in public shelters and there are no means of cooking the goods.

    The general public can no longer be fooled my friend. Hope that someday Ella will be recognized for what she did. Mabuhay ka ELLA.

    Hindi taong nagugurakot

    ReplyDelete
  12. ur a troll. shut-up dumbass!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can build up or tear down reputations. They also reveal who you are and what you stand for, so take care and be gracious. Make sure that your comment will add value to this blog, to others and to your own person - Catwizkers